The people of Mata Nui had their own language and alphabet.
When liquid protodermis was purified in the Great Temple, a few members of a special group of Matoran read passages in an ancient Matoran dialect asking for the protection and aid of Mata Nui.
Ga-Metru schools taught ancient Matoran dialects, among other things.
Matoran was actually a programming language, unlike Agori.
Matoran did not speak English; they spoke their own language, and the story is translated for the reader's benefit.
The Matoran language was not English with a few words changed, they had a wholly separate language that was translated in their dialogue and in visual media, save for a few words which remained untranslated.
- Av was a Matoran prefix meaning "light."
- Ba was a Matoran prefix referring to the element of Gravity.
- Barraki was a Matoran word meaning "warlord."[8, 9, 10]
- Bo was the Matoran prefix for the element of Plant Life.
- Ce was a Matoran prefix referring to the element of Psionics.
- Cordak was the Matoran word for "desolation." The term was originally applied to the Toa Cordak, the first Toa team, which was led by Lesovikk. After news of the team's slaughter by Zyglak spread throughout the Matoran universe, a new, pejorative use of the term became prevalent: "desolation."
- De was a Matoran prefix referring to the element of Sonics.
- Fa was the Matoran prefix for the element of Magnetism.
- Fe was a Matoran prefix referring to the element of Iron.
- Ga was a Matoran prefix meaning "water."[15, 16]
- Hagah was a Matoran word meaning "guardian."
- Hordika was a Matoran word meaning "half beast."
- Inika was a Matoran word meaning "the energies of a star."
- Kanohi was a Matoran word meaning "mask."
- Kanoka is what disks were called in the Matoran language.
- Ko was a Matoran prefix meaning "ice."[15, 20]
- Koro was the Matoran word for "village."
- Le was a Matoran prefix meaning "air."[15, 22]
- Makoki was the Matoran word for "key."
- Manas was the Matoran word for "monster."[24, 25, 26]
- Manas zya was a phrase meaning "monster, attack!" Hydraxon used it to order his energy hound, Spinax, to attack.
- Mangai was a Matoran word meaning "protector."
- Mangaia was an archaic variant of the word mangai.
- The name Mata Nui meant "Great Spirit."[27, 28]
- The name Matoran itself came from the name Mata Nui.
- Metru was the term for one of the six districts of Metru Nui.
- Mistika was a Matoran word meaning "spirits of the mist."
- Nui was a common component in names, meaning "great."
- Nuva was a word that presumably meant "new."
- Onu was a Matoran prefix meaning "earth."[15, 31]
- Phantoka was a Matoran word meaning "spirits of the air."
- Piraka was a Matoran term meaning "thief and murderer." In the Matoran language, the word Piraka meant "thief," among other things, although it meant much more than that as well. A common thief might sneak into a village to steal something of value; a Piraka would set the whole village ablaze to cover up his theft. A robber would normally make an effort to slip in and out unnoticed; a Piraka would destroy whatever or whoever was in sight, purely out of spite. Piraka were criminals, looked down upon even by other criminals, as scum. Calling someone by that name had the potential to start a violent, centuries-long feud. There were few words more vile that an intelligent being could utter.
- Po was a Matoran prefix meaning "stone."[15, 33]
- Rahaga was a term coined by Roodaka as a play on the words Hagah and Rahkshi.
- Rahi was the Matoran name for a wild animal. Rahi was a Matoran word that could roughly be translated to mean "wildlife." The term encompassed creatures of the land, air, and sea. Rahi was the general Matoran term for all animals, fish, birds, insects, and reptiles. The name roughly translated to "not us," since it was used by Matoran to describe living things other than themselves.
- Su was the Matoran prefix for the element of Plasma.
- Ta was a Matoran prefix meaning "fire."[15, 39]
- Takea in Matoran meant "king of sharks."
- Toa meant "hero" in Matoran.[41, 42]
- Tobduk meant "survivor."
- Valmai was a Matoran word that roughly translated to "cursed place."
- Vezon was the Matoran word for "double."[43, 23, 44]
- Vo was the Matoran prefix for the element of Lightning.
- Voya was the Matoran word for "journey".
- Wahi was the term for one of the six regions on Mata Nui.